Bringing your pet dog, cat or ferret to the UK

Natalie SieberichsUncategorized

Pet passport and other documents

You need a pet passport for your dog, cat or ferret if they’ll be travelling:

From 1 January 2021, the rules for travelling to EU countries with your pet will change. You should start the process at least 4 months before you travel.

If they’re coming from a listed or unlisted country, you need a third-country official veterinary certificate if they do not have a pet passport.

You must bring originals of all your pet’s documents, not photocopies.

Getting a pet passport

Pet passports list the different treatments your pet has had.

You can get a pet passport from a vet authorised to issue them in countries the UK accepts pet passports from. If your vet does not issue pet passports, ask them for the nearest one that does or contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency.

When you get a pet passport you’ll need to take:

  • your pet
  • your pet’s identity and vaccination records
  • rabies blood test results, if your pet needs them

The passport is only valid if you meet the entry requirements.

You should travel with previous pet passports in some cases, for example if your pet has had a blood test. Ask your vet if you think this applies to your pet.

Only vets in countries that the UK accepts pet passports from can enter information into the pet passport (except for tapeworm treatments).

You’ll need to get a new pet passport when all the treatment spaces are full.

Before you travel

Check that the vet has filled in the following sections in the pet passport:

  • details of ownership – you must sign section I if your pet passport was issued on or after 29 December 2014
  • description of animal
  • marking or identification of animal
  • vaccination against rabies
  • rabies blood test (if needed)
  • details of the vet issuing the passport (for passports issued from 29 December 2014)
  • your dog’s tapeworm treatment (if needed)

Third-country official veterinary certificate

To enter or return to the EU from listed or unlisted countries you need either:

When you can use a certificate

Your pet must arrive in an EU country within 10 days of the certificate being issued. It’s valid for 4 months for further travel within the EU.

You should get the person who checks your pet when you arrive in the EU to sign and stamp the certificate.

When you can use a pet passport

You do not need a third-country official veterinary certificate if both:

  • your pet was issued with a passport in an EU country before it left
  • the treatments are still valid

Any booster vaccinations or blood tests carried out from outside the EU must be recorded on a third-country official veterinary certificate.

Exchanging the certificate for a pet passport

You can exchange the certificate for an EU pet passport if:

  • it expires while your pet is in the EU
  • your pet needs a rabies booster vaccination while it’s in the EU
  • you want to keep travelling within the EU after the certificate has expired

You’ll have to show the vet:

  • the certificate
  • your pet’s identity and vaccination record
  • the blood test results (if needed)

Cats from Australia

To bring a cat into the UK from Australia, you must have a certificate from the Australian Department of Agriculture confirming your cat has not been exposed to the Hendra virus in the 60 days before you left.

Dogs and cats from Peninsular Malaysia

You must have a certificate from the Malaysian government veterinary health services to bring your dog or cat into the UK from Peninsular Malaysia. The certificate must show your pet:

  • has not had contact with pigs in the 60 days before you left
  • has not been on a holding where Nipah disease has been found in the 60 days before you left
  • has a negative blood test result for Nipah virus antibody – the test must be carried out by a laboratory approved for Nipah virus on a blood sample taken no more than 10 days before you leave

Full article with thanks to