UK And EU: Pet Compliance Checklist

Connie PowellPaw Pet Travel Tips & Advice

UK And EU - Pet Compliance Checklist

Full article with thanks to:

All pet dogs, cats and ferrets (including guide and hearing dogs) can enter or re-enter the UK from any country in the world without quarantine provided they meet the rules of the scheme, which will be different depending on the country or territory the pet is coming from. Please remember you are responsible for ensuring this is the case for your cat, dog or ferret prior to travel.

As the market leader for pet travel, we have compiled a list of the DEFRA procedures for you to follow to ensure your pet complies with the current PET Travel Scheme rules from 1st January 2021.

PET Travel Scheme rules from the 1st January 2021

Following the implementation of the new model of Pet Passport from the 29th December 2014, some changes to the PET Travel Scheme rules will apply from 1st January 2021. You are responsible for ensuring your pet meets all of the rules for entering the EU before it leaves the UK and also complies with the rules for entering the UK under the PET Travel Scheme. Further details can be found at the DEFRA website.

We strongly advise you to read these carefully, if any of the details are incorrect or missing when you check-in at our Pet Receptions located at both our Folkestone & Calais terminals, your pet will not be allowed to travel.

Our Pet Reception on the Folkestone terminal is a designated Travellers’ Point of Entry (TPE) to the EU.


In order to identify your pet (dog, cat or ferret) it must be fitted with a microchip, before or the same day as the initial rabies vaccination is carried out.

The microchip number of the animal must be identical to the microchip number on the pet’s documentation.

A tattoo from any country in the world is acceptable providing it has been done at the latest on the 3 July 2011.

When the vet is completing your pet’s official travel documents, make sure the date of implantation or date of the reading of the microchip is the same date as, or before, the rabies vaccination.

EU Pet Passport or Animal Health Certificate

From 1st January 2021, the UK will be categorised as a Part 2 listed third country under the EU Pet Travel Scheme. This means if your pet(s) have an EU Pet Passport, issued in Great Britain, this will no longer be valid for travel to the EU and you will be required to obtain an Animal Health Certificate (AHC). 

However, if your pet(s) have an EU Pet Passport, issued in Great Britain before 1st January 2021, they will be accepted for entry into the UK.

For animals being prepared in an EU country, you should get an EU Pet Passport.

If you are preparing your animal in a non-EU Listed or Unlisted Third Country or Territory, you will need to obtain an Official Third Country Veterinary Health Certificate.

Rabies vaccination

Your pet (who must be at least 12 weeks old at the time of vaccination) must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement.

The vaccine name and manufacturer, as well as vaccination date, valid from and expiry dates, must be recorded in the AHC or EU Pet Passport by a registered vet (signature and stamp or vet details are mandatory) in the relevant boxes in the Rabies Section of the EU Pet Passport or AHC.

There is no exemption to this requirement. If you are travelling from the EU and listed non-EU countries, the length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is 21 days after the vaccination date (the vaccination date counts as day 0). A waiting period is not required for subsequent entries into the UK, provided rabies boosters are kept up to date and recorded in your pet’s official documentation. If the vaccination is in two parts the 21-day wait will be from the date of the second vaccination.

Travel to/from the EU must take place within the current vaccination validity.

When the vet is completing your pet’s official travel documents (AHC or EU Pet Passport), make sure the date of implantation or date of the reading of the microchip is the same date as, or before, the rabies vaccination.

Tapeworm treatment (dogs only)

Your dog must be treated against tapeworm before travelling to the UK.

Treatment must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours (1 day) and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before the dog’s scheduled arrival time in the UK. The treatment date and time must be recorded by the vet in the pet’s documentation.

Short trips

If you’re leaving Great Britain for a short trip, your dog must be treated by a vet before you go. You must wait for 24 hours before re-entering Great Britain and return within 120 hours or you’ll need to get another treatment abroad. You should treat your dog again within 28 days of returning to Great Britain.

Please note if the tapeworm treatment is not administered in time or correctly documented by a vet, it will result in your pet being refused travel.

Tapeworm treatment must:

  • Be administrated by a vet
  • Must contain Praziquantel to be effective against Echinococcus tapeworm

The following products: Stronghold, Advocate, Frontline or Frontline Combo, Nexgard or Nexgard Spectra will not be accepted and will result in the animal being refused travel.

Veterinary certificate (for Rabbits, Rodents, and Reptiles etc)

This is a health certificate document for domestic pets (other than dogs, cats, ferrets) from non-EU countries to the EU. This form must be completed by a vet within 10 days of travel and can be used to travel to and from the UK and France. It will be inspected by border control agents, so there is no need to visit our Pet Reception or declare these animals on your booking.

Blood test (not required)

Blood test is no longer required if you are entering the UK from the EU and listed non-EU countries.

If entering the UK from unlisted non-EU countries a blood sample must be taken at least 30 days after the rabies vaccination and the length of the waiting period before allowing a dog, cat, ferret to travel is three calendar months from the date your vet took the blood sample which led to a satisfactory test result from an approved laboratory.

Full article with thanks to:

Get the latest from our pet advice blog.

If you’re looking to travel your pet within or outside the United Kindom (Example: Birmingham to Paris), then get in touch with us by completing our quick and easy quote form.