Advice on Taking Your Pets Abroad

Connie PowellPaw Pet Travel Tips & Advice

Advice on Taking Your Pets Abroad

Full article with thanks to:

Travelling abroad to EU countries and Northern Ireland (NI) with your pet cat, ferret or dog changed on 1 January 2021. 

Any pet passports issued in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales), including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, are now invalid for travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland. 

You can still use your pet passport if it was issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland and are travelling to another EU country.

What will I need to travel with my pet to and from Great Britain?

When travelling to and from Great Britain (GB) to the EU with your pet or assistance dog, they will need:

Be sure to check your route before you travel – you must travel using approved routes.

Important: Be sure to check the area you are travelling to beforehand to see whether there’s a risk that your pet will be exposed to diseases that we don’t have in the UK, such as leishmaniasis. And, remember, there may be other risks such as heat exposure and exotic animals such as snakes that you will need to take into consideration.

Assistance dogs

If you have an assistance dog and are returning from the EU, you do not have to travel on approved routes. You will just need to tell the authorities that you’re travelling with an assistance dog to make sure the appropriate checks are carried out. 

You also don’t have to travel on an approved route if you are travelling into GB from other UK countries, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland.

When does my pet need to have the rabies vaccination?

Your pet needs to be at least 12 weeks old before they can have the vaccination. You will then need to wait 21 days after your pet’s first vaccination before you can travel.

Travelling to Finland, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta

In addition to the above, if you are travelling with your dog directly to Finland, the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta you will need to get your dog treated for tapeworm

Your pet will need to receive treatment one to five days before arriving in any of these countries. Your vet must also enter full details on the AHC following treatment.

What should I do when I arrive in the EU?

When you arrive in the EU, you will have to visit a Travellers’ Point of Entry and show official proof of your pet’s AHC, microchip, vaccinations and tapeworm treatment (if required) before being allowed to travel further. 

How long will I be allowed to travel for?

The AHC will be valid for four months of travelling within the EU. You will also need to travel back to Great Britain within that period or your AHC will expire.

Repeat trips to the EU or NI

Your pet will need a new AHC for each trip to the EU or NI.

If your pet has an up to date rabies vaccination history following your first AHC, they will not need a repeat rabies vaccination before travelling to the EU or NI.

However, if you are travelling directly to Finland, the Republic of Ireland, NI, Norway or Malta, you will need tapeworm treatment for each trip.

How old does my pet need to be before they can travel?

In GB your pet cannot travel into or from England, Scotland or Wales unless they are over 15 weeks of age. This includes the 12 weeks it takes to be old enough to get their vaccinations and a 21 day wait afterwards to allow the vaccine to take effect.

How many pets can I travel with?

You can travel with up to five pets to and from GB. The only exceptions to this rule are if you’re taking part or training:

  • in a competition
  • in a show
  • in a sporting event

You must bring written evidence of your participation in the event with you to the Travellers’ Point of Entry.

Your pet will need to be over six months old, be actively taking part in the event or training and must meet all the other requirements needed to enter that country.

Research additional requirements

Before you travel you must check if there are any diseases or parasites to be aware of or laws in a country that are different to those here in the UK. For example, there are diseases in the southern Mediterranean and other areas that it’s advisable to protect your pet against.

Make sure you ask your vet about any health risks and for advice about protection against ticks, mosquitos and sandflies, which can spread diseases. There may also be other hazards, such as blisters to the feet from hot surfaces or poisonous snakes which you and your pet are not familiar with.

The laws on dog ownership vary between countries; in Italy, for instance (as well as aboard some ferries), all dog owners can be asked to muzzle their pet in public, so you will need to purchase one and ensure your dog is trained to wear one and keep it with you at all times.

Full article with thanks to:

We offer free advice on pet travel within or outside the UK, so whether you’re looking for worldwide pet travel services or European travel – we give you our honest, expert advice.

If you choose us for pet travel, don’t worry – your animal companion will be in safe hands from start to finish.

Simply get a quote from us for more information.